Friday, May 26, 2017

The joke’s on you

I have had my first encounter with a pick pocket in my beloved New York. He came off worse. Not because I leapt on him and beat him to the ground to reclaim my belongings, but because the only thing I had in my coat pocket was a used tissue. A very used tissue.

I didn’t realise what had happened until Child #6 told me she had seen the whole incident. She had noticed the guy because he was dressed up as The Joker from Batman. Hiding in plain sight then. We were passing near Times Square, where no one takes any notice of what anyone is caring to wear, apart, perhaps, from the Naked Cowboy who remains almost true to his name even in sub-zero temperatures. He deserves all the tips he gets in the winter, to be honest.

Anyway, it was crowded and I was clinging to my handbag in the way that you find with people who grew up in London in the Seventies. Then someone knocked against me so that I fell into He Who Knows Best. I didn’t think anything of it until #6 related her tale and I realised that someone had indeed slipped their hand into my coat pocket. I felt it on some subconscious level at the time but only afterwards did I connect it with the not so amusing Joker.
I lived in Paris in my twenties, paying my way by waitressing. (I was a terrible waitress, but thankfully my British accent saved me from almost certain dismissal.) In the evenings my friends and I would wander the streets of the city, pretending to absorb the culture, smoking menthol cigarettes and believing we were oh so cool. And we saw pick pockets galore. I’m not entirely sure there were enough careless tourists to go round, in fact. Night after night we would see these sneaky little artists at work, moving among the crowds like characters from ‘Oliver’. They would dip their hands into a handbag in seconds and then disappear as though they were never there in the first place. Their poor victims never saw it coming. It was most impressive.
I have always been convinced that I’m too streetwise to fall foul of these chancers. But you can become complacent when you live in a city for a while. You aren’t a tourist any more, this is your home, so you wander around with the carefree attitude of people who are comfortable in their surroundings. And then you get careless.
I think back to the times I have stuffed my cell phone into my pocket so that it is easily accessible when I am expecting a call. I have been lucky up to now. So I have had a wake-up call and henceforth my phone will remain zipped up in my bag and my bag will be across my body and my hands will be on top of my bag. There may even be a padlock involved. And all that will be in my pocket is a crumpled-up old tissue. You’re welcome, Mr Pick Pocket.

Inspiration struck today at ... Times Square

You have to visit this iconic New York tourist hell at least once, and there is undoubtedly an energy to the place, but for people like me who hyperventilate in a crowd, this might not be the best idea.
Pros: Reminds you that the quiet life really is the way to go.
Cons: Bad for epileptics, what with all the flashing lights everywhere you turn.